African futures : essays on crisis, emergence, and possibility
edited by Brian Goldstone and Juan Obarrio
Civil wars, corporate exploitation, AIDS, and Ebola-but also democracy, burgeoning cities, and unprecedented communication and mobility: the future of Africa has never been more uncertain. Indeed, drat future is one of the most complex issues in contemporary anthropology, as evidenced by the incredi...
The University of Chicago Press,
|Physical Description:||267 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm|
|ISBN(s):||9780226402383 : paperback|
|General note:||Most contributions derive from an invited session on "African Futures in Crisis", held at the American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting in New Orleans in 2010.|
Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction: untimely Africa? / Brian Goldstone and Juan Obarrio
- Rethinking crisis. Africa otherwise / Janet Roitman
- The form of crisis and the affect of modernization / Brian Larkin
- The productivity of crisis : aid, time, and medicine in Mozambique / Ramah McKay
- Emergent economies. Money in the future of Africans / Jane I. Guyer
- Forensics of capital / Michael Ralph
- Brokering revolution : imagining future war on the West African borderlands / Danny Hoffman
- Hedging the future / Charles Piot
- Entangled postcolonial futures : Malagasy marriage migrants and provincial Frenchmen / Jennifer Cole
- Urban spaces and local futures. Rough towns : mobilizing uncertainty in Kinshasa / AbdouMaliq Simone
- Local futures, the future of the local : urban living in a Central African metropolis / Filip De Boeck
- Changing mobilities, shifting futures / Peter Geschiere and Antoine Socpa
- Time and again : locality as future anterior in Mozambique / Juan Obarrio
- Possibilities. Getting ahead when we're behind : time, potential, and value in urban Tanzania / Brad Weiss
- Africa in theory / Achille Mbembe.